The standard OSX terminal is not really the optimal solution when working a lot with the terminal.
Because of that I would recommend to install iTerm2 in combination with oh-my-zsh to have a better user experience.
- Download iTerm here and install it
- Download oh-my-zsh via curl
sh -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/master/tools/install.sh)”
- Open iTerm and access the options via i + CMD
- Go to the Color tab and select a Color presets that you like. I prefer Solarized Dark.
- Download a Powerline compatible font to work with the oh-my-zsh theme Agnostic. I prefer Meslo LG M DZ Regular for Powerline.
You can download it here
- Go back to the iTerm preferences and to the Text tab.
Change the Font and the Non-ASCII Font options to your new font.
- Now change the oh-my-zsh theme to Agnostic by editing the file
~/.zshrc via nano or vim.
Or to any oh-my-zsh theme you like.
You can find a huge collection here.
- Restart iTerm and your .zshrc changes should be applied.
Done. If everything went as expected your iTerm should look like this: